Story: Waikato places

Tokoroa takes shape

Tokoroa takes shape

From 1947 Tokoroa grew to accommodate workers for the Kinleith mill, 8 kilometres south of the town. By 1953, when this photograph was taken, streets had been laid out and the settlement was expanding. The company that constructed the mill, New Zealand Forest Products, was also responsible for building many of the houses. Managing Director David Henry took a close interest in Tokoroa’s development and named many of the streets after places in Scotland, where he was born.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Whites Aviation Collection
Reference: WA-32211

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Nancy Swarbrick, 'Waikato places - Tokoroa', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/27357/tokoroa-takes-shape (accessed 19 March 2019)

Story by Nancy Swarbrick, updated 11 Jun 2015