The anchor of the Harriet, wrecked at the mouth of the Ōkahu Stream south of Rāhotu in 1834, is now mounted outside the Rāhotu Hotel. It was dug out of the sand by local farmer Arthur Gibson in 1969. Some of the Harriet’s crew were killed by Māori, and others, including Betty Guard and her two children, were held hostage. A rescue mission from Australia, organised by the captain, John Guard, led to the first confrontation between British troops and Māori.
Using this item
Photograph by Ron Lambert
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.