The 20-metre cast-iron tower of Cape Egmont lighthouse stands on the westernmost point of Taranaki. Manufactured in Britain in 1864, it was originally erected on Mana Island near Wellington in 1865, and was moved to Cape Egmont in 1881. The keepers lived alongside the lighthouse until it was automated in 1986. The original lens has been reinstalled in a replica – but non-functioning – tower at the nearby Cape Egmont Boating Club.
Using this item
Photograph by Caren Wilton
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.