The rusting remains of the SS Gairloch’s bow can be seen on the beach just south of Ōakura. The Gairloch was one of the vessels of the Northern Steamship Company, which ran a coastal shipping service between Onehunga, New Plymouth, Whanganui and Nelson in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Designed especially for the North Island coastal service, the Gairloch was launched in Glasgow in 1884. Late at night on 5 January 1903, it ran ashore in stormy weather, 10 kilometres south of New Plymouth. No lives were lost, and many of the ship’s fittings and much of the cargo were eventually salvaged.
Using this item
Photograph by Mike Hollman
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.