A short walk over farmland outside Ōakura leads to Te Koru pā historic reserve, on a loop of the Ōakura River. The river-stone terracing of the ditches and banks – only found in this part of Taranaki – is the most elaborate in the region. The pā belonged to the Ngā Mahanga-a-Tairi people. Some time between 1800 and 1805 the pā was attacked and taken by a Te Āti Awa war party from Rewarewa (at the mouth of the Waiwhakaiho River) and Puketapu (Bell Block).
Using this item
Photograph by Ron Lambert
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.