These drawings from the Illustrated London News give a sense of the ambitious aims that drove New Zealand's first exhibition, at Dunedin in 1865. The grand Italianate building was designed by local architects Mason and Clayton, and was at the time the most impressive structure in the city. It was subsequently used as part of the public hospital. The two interior scenes show the Otago and Wellington displays in the exhibition. In the foreground of the Wellington court can be seen the reflecting lenses from a lighthouse.
Using this item
University of Waikato
Reference: Illustrated London News, 13 May 1865, p.457
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.