This is Elsdon Best's road inspector's camp at Te Whāiti in the Urewera, in 1896. From left to right are Best, Tūhoe chief Tūtakangahau, who was Best's informant on tribal traditions, and friends C. Turner, Mr and Mrs Manson, Te Kura and A. Cross. Best took the job of inspector during some of the first road-making projects in the Urewera, partly to study the local Tūhoe people and their history and customs. He later worked at the Dominion Museum in Wellington and wrote many books on his findings.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.