Surveyor J. A. Connell laid out a town at the junction of the Clutha and Manuherikia rivers in March 1863 and named it after Alexandra, the Danish princess whose planned marriage that month to Edward, Prince of Wales aroused keen interest.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: MapColl 834.5191bje/1863/Acc.9819
Cartography by John Aitken Connell
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.