The Holmes show, hosted by broadcaster Paul Holmes, was the highest-rating New Zealand current affairs shows of its time. Holmes drew on many years of experience in radio to fashion a show which combined hard-hitting interviews with entertainment stories and absurdist humour, with the support of a talented production crew and a team of reporters. Holmes could be tenacious in demanding direct answers from politicians, but he was also skilled at creating a laid-back atmosphere which set interviewees at ease. His producer, Susan Baldacci, recalled that Holmes related easily to others wherever he went, from celebrities to children in Bosnia: ‘he had a way of connecting genuinely with people, genuinely able to talk to just anybody.’
This video draws together some memorable moments from the show’s 15-year run:
1. (00:00–05:23) An excerpt from Holmes’ infamous interview with American yachtsman Dennis Conner, which screened during the show’s first episode, April 1989. Watch the full interview on NZ On Screen.
2. (05:24–07:37) Holmes interviews 16-year-old Bosnian Melisa Tolja, live from wartorn Sarajevo, and invites viewers to donate money to support those affected by the war, July 1993.
3. (07:38–11:47) Holmes visits the New Zealand military base in Bosnia-Herzegovina and interviews some of the soldiers, December 1994.
4. (11:48–13:47) Holmes attempts synchronised swimming, August 1994.
5. (13:48–16:19) Holmes conducts a memorable interview with partially dressed British pop star Robbie Williams, July 2000.
6. (16:20–18:22) Holmes interviews a New York construction worker who witnessed the 11 September 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center, December 2001.
7. (18:23–20:49) Holmes gives an emotional apology to viewers for describing UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan as a ‘cheeky darkie’ on his radio show, September 2003.
8. (20:50–21:23) Holmes reflects on the show’s legacy during its 15th anniversary episode, April 2004.
Tāngia te kōrero katoa
Te whakamahi i tēnei tūemi
Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision
Reference: TZP56194 Dennis Conner interview; TZP126152 Melisa Tolja interview; TZP151959 Bosnia; TZP148070 Synchronised swimming; TZP230806 Robbie Williams interview; TZP251765 Construction workers in New York; TZP295114 Apology; TZP286846 15 year anniversary
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.