This film clip shows how alcohol was detected using a spectrometer and measured in a person's blood using a gas chromatograph in the 1960s. It is from a Pictorial Parade film featuring the centenary of the chemistry division of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) in 1965 – 100 years since the founding of the Colonial Laboratory in 1865. In 1965 the DSIR's chemistry division had recently moved to new facilities at Gracefield in Lower Hutt.
Using this item
Archives New Zealand - Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga
Reference: Pictorial Parade 170. National Film Unit, 1965
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence