A sewer is installed at Andersons Bay, Dunedin, in 1901. Municipal engineers were often responsible for designing and supervising the installation of sewerage systems. In the 19th century, and for most of the 20th century, sewers carried untreated waste to the sea. They were often constructed in a piecemeal way – Dunedin had sewers clearing the centre of town from 1861, but in some areas waste was still collected by night-cart in the mid-20th century.
Using this item
Otago Daily Times
Reference: 5 November 2005, p. 111
Permission of the Otago Daily Times must be obtained before any re-use of this image.