Glacier Hut, at 1,740 metres on the Whakapapa ski field, was the first purpose-built ski club hut. It was built by members of the Ruapehu Ski Club in 1923, and like many early huts, was very basic. Clad with corrugated iron, it had six bunks and a stove. In 1989 the club restored it and turned it into a skiing museum.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.