To encourage closer farming settlement, the government purchased Allan McLean’s Waikākahi estate in 1898 and divided it into approximately 130 family farms. In 1999 descendants of the first farmers gathered at McLean’s old homestead to mark the centenary of the subdivision.
Using this item
Private collection, John Wilson
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.