This notice in Chinese characters from a 19th-century gambling house in Switzers (Waikaia), Southland, sets out rules for gambling. The text, translated into English, reads:
A notice announcing to people that:
- Gold rings will be taken by weight
- If you pawn your ring you have one month to redeem it
- One ounce of gold is worth 90 shillings
- You cannot pawn your suit or watch
- You must follow these rules
- You can compare these rules with other places, these are considered fair rules
Dated the 21st day of the 9th month .
Te whakamahi i tēnei tūemi
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.