The first Parliament building was opened in 1854 at Mechanics Bay, Auckland. Lacking space and facilities, it was jokingly referred to as the 'Shedifice'. This watercolour of 1859 shows the building on the far left: it is the plain three-gabled structure.
Using this item
Auckland Art Gallery – Toi o Tāmaki
Watercolour by Andrew Robertson
Permission of Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki must be obtained before any re-use of this image.