When the Canterbury Association’s first settlers arrived at the end of 1850, they found a jetty – to which they were ferried from the ships anchored in the harbour – and an immigration barracks. But the Sumner Road (left background) was not finished, and settlers had to walk over the Bridle Path (foreground) to reach Christchurch. Early roads were often termed ‘bridle paths’, as they were suitable for horses but not wheeled vehicles.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.