This watercolour of the lower end of the Fox Glacier was painted by Sir William Fox, who was premier at the time of his visit in 1872. Originally called the Albert Glacier, it was renamed after Fox to honour him. Since then most glaciers have melted considerably, and the Fox has thinned and retreated up the valley.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.