William Australia Graham had the task of surveying Hamilton East in 1864, and produced this detailed map. As well as showing the sections allocated to militia members, it identifies areas of swamp and kahikatea forest. Many of the first houses were built from local kahikatea.
Using this item
Permission of Waikato Museum – Te Whare Taonga o Waikato must be obtained before any re-use of this image.