The building occupied by the Otago School of Mines from 1891 to 1909, commonly known as the Old Tin Shed, was constructed from materials left over from the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition. In 1908 the temporary building was replaced by a handsome new Gothic-style building, lit by electric light, with eight laboratories, three lecture rooms, and a library.
Using this item
Hocken Library, University of Otago
Reference: SO6-156: Otago Witness, 3 September 1902
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.