Story: Northland places

Kaitāia war memorial

Kaitāia war memorial

Kaitāia’s war memorial was erected in 1916, halfway through the First World War, when local dismay at the high New Zealand casualty rate was beginning to take hold. Part of the inscription reads: ‘In loving memory and in honour of our sons and relations both Māori and Pākehā, dead or living from the county of Mangōnui who willingly offered to sacrifice their lives to uphold the honour of the King and Empire and for the Glory of God in this terrible war which began in Europe in August 1914, and has since spread over the greater part of the world.’

Using this item

Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Shirley Williams

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Claudia Orange, 'Northland places - Kaitāia and district', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/7660/kaitaia-war-memorial (accessed 20 October 2019)

Story by Claudia Orange, updated 4 May 2015