Kaitāia’s rich Māori, Dalmatian and European heritage is evident in this welcome sign on the outskirts of the town. Founded through cooperation between Māori and Europeans, the settlement expanded rapidly between 1870 and 1900 when kauri-gum diggers, many of Dalmatian origin, arrived in the vicinity.
Using this item
Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Shirley Williams
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence
Add new comment