The township of Kawerau mushroomed when work started on the Tasman pulp and paper plant in 1953. Workers came from many parts of New Zealand and overseas to construct the plant and the houses and amenities for the labour force. Single men were housed in these huts.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.