Story: Marlborough region

Wairau River diversion, 1963

Wairau River diversion, 1963

Flood-control efforts in the Wairau River valley culminated with the opening of the Wairau diversion on 30 April 1963. The diversion established a course for the Wairau River which ran from State Highway 1 at Tuamarina directly cross-country to Cloudy Bay. The usual course of the river meandered for some kilometres south-east before reaching Cloudy Bay at Wairau Bar, and was unsuited to handling surges of water.

Using this item

Marlborough Historical Society, Marlborough Museum & Archives
Reference: 000.900.1003
Photograph by Norman Brayshaw

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Marlborough region - Climate, plants and animals', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/31741/wairau-river-diversion-1963 (accessed 18 July 2019)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 1 Nov 2016