Story: Waikato places

Woodlands

Woodlands

From 1881 Woodlands homestead was headquarters of the Eureka estate, established by the Waikato Land Association (later the New Zealand Land Association). The association was formed by Auckland speculators, including Thomas Russell and Frederick Whitaker, who bought 86,502 waterlogged acres (35,006 hectares) north-east of Hamilton in 1873. The historic homestead is now the centre of a complex including a garden of regional significance, a function centre and café.

About this item

Woodlands Historic Homestead, Garden and Function Centre
Photograph by Sacha

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Nancy Swarbrick, 'Waikato places - Hamilton', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/27708/woodlands (accessed 18 October 2017)

Story by Nancy Swarbrick, updated 11 Jun 2015