Story: Waikato places

Arapuni dam

Arapuni  dam

The Arapuni hydroelectric power station, completed in 1929, was the second major hydro dam on the Waikato River. Workers reached it by crossing the 152-metre-long swing bridge. The bridge is now part of a walkway on the Waikato River Trail.

Using this item

New Zealand Herald
Reference: 271106NZHSRIRIVER10.JPG
Photograph by Sarah Ivey

Permission of the New Zealand Herald must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Nancy Swarbrick, 'Waikato places - Putaruru and Tīrau', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/27354/arapuni-dam (accessed 6 December 2019)

Story by Nancy Swarbrick, updated 11 Jun 2015