Hāwera’s war memorial arch was designed by local architect John Duffill and his business partner Stephen Gibson. One of the largest of Taranaki’s 60-odd public war memorials, the Hāwera arch was unveiled by Prime Minister William Massey in 1924. It records the 132 Hāwera locals who died in the First World War. The district’s 75 casualties from the Second World War were added in the late 1940s.
Using this item
Photograph by Ron Lambert
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.