John Duffill, a Hāwera architect for nearly 40 years, specialised in ‘second generation’ dairy factories in South Taranaki – substantial concrete buildings to replace the smaller wooden structures of the 19th century. Duffill developed this plan for the Hāwera Co-operative Dairy Company’s main factory in 1913. The cooperative closed after amalgamation with the Kiwi Co-operative in 1967, and the buildings were the premises of the Taranaki Clothing Company for some years after.
After the First World War, some of Taranaki’s early dairy factories were replaced by concrete buildings, but many others closed as the industry consolidated. A good number of these buildings now have new functions, including as engineering workshops, farm storage sheds, residences and even, at Tāwhiti near Hāwera, a museum.
Using this item
Puke Ariki - Taranaki Museum & Library
Plans by John A. Duffill
This item must not be copied or reproduced in any print or electronic media without the prior permission of Puke Ariki Museum and Library. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.