Within the present-day Manaia golf course are the earthworks and blockhouses of the Manaia redoubt, erected by the armed constabulary in 1880–81 during the military advance on Parihaka. The concrete tower is a 1912 replacement of the original wooden structure, which was known as ‘the watchtower of the plains’ – but the two blockhouses are the original buildings.
Using this item
Photograph by Ron Lambert
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.