After the Kapuni gas field was discovered in 1959, the processing infrastructure was built and began operating in 1970. Gas and condensate (liquid hydrocarbons) are separated by the Shell Todd Oil Services plant, and the gas is delivered to the adjacent Natural Gas Corporation, which distributes gas around the country. The condensate is transferred by pipeline to Port Taranaki, from where it is shipped to Marsden Point oil refinery near Whangārei. Since operations began at Kapuni, 20 wells have been drilled, including the highly successful Kapuni 14 in 1988.
Using this item
Discovery Photo Library
Photograph by Chris Fairclough
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.