This memorial to Peter Buck (Te Rangi Hīroa) – also the repository of his ashes – is on the bush-covered slopes of the Ngāti Mutunga pā, Ōkoki. The stylised canoe prow, designed by Wellington architects Plischke and Firth, was dedicated by Governor-General Willoughby Norrie in 1954. Buck trained in medicine and was active in politics, but later made his name as a Polynesian ethnologist, and became director of the Bishop Museum in Hawaii.
Using this item
Photograph by Ron Lambert
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.