The development of the Midhirst Co-operative Dairy Company was typical of Taranaki dairy factories. It was founded by local farmers in 1895, and soon established six branches in the surrounding district. In the 1920s this factory was replaced by a larger concrete building and an adjoining casein-drying tower. During the 1950s tanker collection of milk began and the branches were closed. In 1973 the cooperative merged with the Taranaki Co-operative Dairy Company – an amalgamation of central-Taranaki factories – which built a multi-storey milk-powder factory on the site. In 1983 Kiwi Dairies took over and closed the complex.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, James McAllister Collection (PAColl-3054)
Reference: 1/1-009396; G
Photograph by James McAllister
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment