Story: Whanganui region

St John’s churches, Pōrewa

St John’s churches, Pōrewa

Timber and concrete churches stand side by side on Tutu Tōtara, the Marshall property at Pōrewa, in the mid-1920s. Both were designed by Frederick de Jersey Clere. The second church (left) was built from concrete in 1924 as a memorial to John Marshall, who had been killed in France in 1916. The original church was constructed in 1884. It was later demolished – this is the only known photo of the two buildings together.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, James M. Anson Collection
Reference: PAColl-4135

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Diana Beaglehole, 'Whanganui region - Buildings and heritage', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 19 July 2024)

Story by Diana Beaglehole, updated 1 Jun 2015