Story: Whanganui places

Mangamāhū, 1906

Mangamāhū, 1906

Mangamāhū, at the junction of the Mangamāhū and Whangaehu rivers, remains a remote settlement. In 2006 it was cut off for several weeks when flood waters destroyed a bridge on the only access road. A century earlier it was a youthful settlement, with the surrounding hillsides only recently cleared of forest.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Tesla Studios Collection (PAColl-3046)
Reference: G-13108-1/1

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Diana Beaglehole, 'Whanganui places - East of Whanganui', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/18952/mangamahu-1906 (accessed 24 May 2019)

Story by Diana Beaglehole, updated 15 Jun 2015