The central government took part of the reclaimed land for itself. In 1876 it put up a four-storey building (at right) to house the public service and the executive. Known as Government Buildings, it was originally designed to built of stone, but wood was used, to save money. Just to the left and surrounded by trees is Parliament Buidlings. In 1881, a new Supreme Court opened opposite Government Buildings (centre left). This scene shows the three arms of government: the executive, Parliament and the judiciary.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.