In 1865 Wellington finally received what many citizens had considered its birthright: the role of capital city. However, the town had little room for growth. This led the provincial and central governments to jointly fund a 51-hectare reclamation of Lambton Harbour between Customhouse Quay and Pipitea Point. By the early 1870s the project had reached the northern end of Lambton Quay – marked in this photograph by the line of buildings at the water’s edge. The two-storey building with the tower is Government House (where the governor lived). Immediately behind is Parliament, with St Mary’s Catholic Church to the left.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.