St Matthew’s Church in Masterton replaced a church destroyed in the 1942 earthquake. Built in 1956, the church is a striking example of the modernist style. It has a separate 20-metre-high bell tower, housing a carillon with a range of two octaves.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Shirley Williams
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence