The first Europeans to enter the Wairarapa in the 1840s considered the area ideal for pastoral farming, and in 1844 the first flock of sheep was driven around the coast from Wellington onto the Wairarapa plains. These sheep are grazing in a paddock between Carterton and Masterton, with the Tararua Range in the background.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence