This decorated locomotive was a feature at the opening of the branch line to Waimate in 1877. The railway was built to encourage rural settlement and carry goods to and from urban markets and ports. By the 1960s improved motor transport and roads had made the lines unprofitable, and they were closed.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.