Story: South Canterbury region

Waitaki River bridge

Waitaki River bridge

The bridging of South Canterbury’s wide, braided rivers made travel easier and faster. Initially the bridges carried both rail and vehicular traffic. This car crossing the 2-kilometre Waitaki Bridge, around 1914, is heading for Glenavy. The elevated structure houses water tanks, in case of fire on the bridge.

Using this item

South Canterbury Museum
Reference: 4074

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Wilson, 'South Canterbury region - Transport and towns', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/11394/waitaki-river-bridge (accessed 22 August 2019)

Story by John Wilson, updated 2 Feb 2017