A heavy south-easterly swell crashes against the Port of Timaru’s southern breakwater, in a photograph taken around 1898. The completion of the artificial harbour in the 1880s provided ships with a safe haven and enabled the port to expand.
Using this item
Auckland Art Gallery – Toi o Tāmaki
Photograph by Alfred Burton
Permission of Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki must be obtained before any re-use of this image.