This carved pou (post) was found in the Hamilton suburb of Chartwell, on the east bank of the Waikato River, around 1960. It is elaborately carved, with pāua-shell eyes, and could have been used to mark a boundary or a restricted area. It is one of the relics of intensive pre-1864 Māori occupation of the area now covered by Hamilton city.
Using this item
Permission of Waikato Museum – Te Whare Taonga o Waikato must be obtained before any re-use of this image.