Story: Waikato places

Roadside Stories: Rangiriri pā

 

 

The remarkable earthworks at Rangiriri formed a defensive line more than a kilometre long. In 1863 Rangiriri was stormed by British forces during the Waikato war. Although they eventually took the pā, they were repelled eight times, and British casualties were high. The remains of the earthworks are still visible today.

Listen to a Roadside Story about Rangiriri. Roadside Stories is a series of audio guides to places around New Zealand.

Taonga puoro courtesy of Richard Nunns

Using this item

YouTube: Manatu Taonga's channel

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Nancy Swarbrick, 'Waikato places - Hūnua to Te Kauwhata', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/interactive/35229/roadside-stories-rangiriri-pa (accessed 7 December 2021)

Story by Nancy Swarbrick, updated 11 Jun 2015