After victories at Turuturumōkai, Te Ngutu-o-te-manu and Moturoa, Tītokowaru built a new pā at Taurangaika, near Nukumaru. This plan and inset shows the design of the pā, with its series of trenches and palisades. In the event, the strength of the pā was never tested, because as a result of a dispute Tītokowaru’s men refused to fight and Taurangaika was abandoned.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: James Cowan, The New Zealand wars: a history of the Maori campaigns and the pioneering period. Vol. 2. Wellington: Government Printer, 1922, p. 289
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment