Story: New Zealand wars

Page 3. Wellington and Whanganui wars, 1846–1848

All images & media in this story

Martial law in Wellington

From the time that British settlers arrived in the Wellington area in 1839, land disputes had caused friction between Māori and settlers. British troops exchanged fire with Ngāti Tama and Ngāti Rangatahi near Fort Richmond in Hutt Valley on 3 March 1846, leading Governor George Grey to declare martial law in Wellington. Māori withdrew but on 2 April killed Lower Hutt settlers Andrew Gillespie and his son, heightening tensions. On 16 May, Māori attacked the redoubt at Boulcott’s farm, killing eight of its defenders.

Extending martial law

Military posts were then constructed along the Wellington–Porirua road. Barracks were built at Paremata for British reinforcements, initially 20 men of the 58th Regiment commanded by Major Edward Last. On 18 June, hearing that a war party was approaching from the north, Grey extended martial law to include Whanganui. He also travelled to Waikanae to urge Te Āti Awa to intercept the war party as it moved south, which they agreed to do.

Arresting Te Rauparaha

Grey decided to arrest Ngāti Toa chief Te Rauparaha, whom he blamed for the Hutt Valley attacks. On 23 July a naval party raided Te Rauparaha’s village, Taupō (near Porirua), and took the elderly chief into custody, along with other key allies. When news of these arrests reached his nephew, Te Rangihaeata, a rescue attempt by 50 fighters was mounted but easily driven off.

End of Wellington war

In August, Ngāti Toa, Ngāti Tama, Ngāti Rangatahi and their allies retreated into the hills above Pāuatahanui, pursued by the British army and their Māori allies from Wellington. Te Rangihaeata’s people eventually reached Poroutawhao in Horowhenua, where they were allowed to settle in peace.

Whanganui: tensions rise

Disputed land purchases around the settlement of Whanganui also caused tensions between Māori and settlers. When Ngāti Hāua-te-rangi chief Tōpine Te Mamaku returned from fighting at Boulcott’s farm, he warned settlers not to station troops at Whanganui. However, troops arrived in December 1846. Tensions were heightened on 16 April 1847 when Whanganui chief Hapurona Ngārangi was shot, apparently accidentally, while working aboard the brig Calliope.

Attack on Gilfillan farm

Possibly in reaction to Ngārangi’s wounding, some followers of Te Mamaku attacked the Gilfillan farm in the isolated Matarawa valley a few days later, killing four members of the family. The perpetrators of these killings were apprehended and all but one were hanged on 26 April.

Whanganui attack

Under the leadership of Te Mamaku, Whanganui Māori gathered upriver, and on 19 May several hundred fighters attacked Whanganui town, looting and destroying property and raiding outlying farms. A British gunboat entered the fray from the river but had negligible impact. British troops and Whanganui settlers took refuge inside the Rutland stockade and withstood the attacks, which came to within 300 metres of the fortification.

Peace terms

On 20 July, the British moved out of the stockade to engage Te Mamaku at St John’s Wood. An inconclusive battle left Māori with few options but to withdraw. Governor Grey pressed for peace and on 21 February 1848 announced that he had reached an agreement with Te Mamaku.

How to cite this page:

Danny Keenan, 'New Zealand wars - Wellington and Whanganui wars, 1846–1848', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 17 August 2022)

Story by Danny Keenan, published 20 Jun 2012, reviewed & revised 8 Feb 2017