Story: East Coast region

Māori churches: church at Tūranga (1st of 2)

Māori churches: church at Tūranga

This coloured wood engraving of a native church at Tūranga (Gisborne) was made in 1852 to depict the likely appearance of the church once completed.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: B-051-017

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Monty Soutar, 'East Coast region - European impact on Māori, 1769 to 1869', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/33359/maori-churches-church-at-turanga (accessed 20 October 2019)

Story by Monty Soutar, updated 1 Mar 2015