Story: Taranaki region

Immigration barracks, 1841

Immigration barracks, 1841

To house the first Plymouth Company immigrants in March 1841, Richard Barrett and local Māori erected temporary accommodation on the beachfront at Ngāmotu. This lithograph embellishes the scene by depicting an impressive row of substantial dwellings. The structures were almost certainly in a more typically Māori style than the artist’s depiction.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: PUBL-0048-01
Engraving after a drawing by Charles Heaphy

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Ron Lambert, 'Taranaki region - Early settlers', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/25291/immigration-barracks-1841 (accessed 26 August 2019)

Story by Ron Lambert, updated 1 Aug 2015