Scotsman Alexander Alexander opened a trading post at Ahuriri (Napier) in 1846. It was the first European building in the future town. He went on to open a number of stores in the district and married Hārata, a Ngāti Te Ūpokoiri woman of mana. Unlike most traders he stayed in Hawke’s Bay, dying at his farm near Napier in 1873.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.