In 1888 the Auckland Art Gallery opened in a magnificent new building, which had been completed the year before, as shown in the top image, drawn by John Grainger and Charles D'Ebro. The gallery shared the French chateau-style building with the public library and city council. Initially the gallery occupied the Coburg (now Kitchener) Street wing (to the left of the clock tower) but eventually took over the entire space. In 2011 a new additional building was completed alongside the original gallery wing.
The plans of the interior of the original middle floor (bottom image) show how the rooms in the building were used when it was a shared space.
Using this item
Auckland City Archives
Reference: ACC 015 2197-3 (top); ACC 015 3182-2 471450 (bottom)
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment