The Dunedin Public Art Gallery occupied this building (middle of the photo, in front of the railway tracks) from 1907 to 1927, when it was sold to the Otago Settlers' Association for a museum. Before it moved into this building, the art collection was displayed in various different venues, but by the turn of the 20th century donors had become dissatisfied with this situation and were beginning to withdraw works lent for display. Fundraising for a permanent gallery began in 1900 and it opened on 26 September 1907.
Using this item
Otago Daily Times
Reference: 11 March 2008, p. 27
Permission of the Otago Daily Times must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment