Nelson's Bishop Suter Art Gallery (later known as Suter Art Gallery Te Aratoi o Whakatū) opened in 1899. The modest building on the banks of the Maitai River commemorates Andrew Suter, the second Anglican bishop of Nelson, and his wife Amelia, who gifted land, money and art for a gallery in 1895.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Photograph by Frederick George Radcliffe
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.